Friday, October 18, 2013

Bane the Elephant and Other Unlikely Kids

My daughter's life is a miracle.

Granted, I believe that every life is something of a miracle, and I can see a clear sequence of logical reasons why that miracle happened.  But that doesn't make her life any less miraculous.

My wife Camille had an uneventful pregnancy--she never got seriously sick, and she never complained of some of the other major discomforts of pregnancy.  The doctor kept telling us that everything looked healthy and normal.

Then, yesterday morning, I got a call from Camille.  She never calls me during work hours, so I knew something serious was up.  She was on her way to the doctor because something hurt.  The doctor sent her straight on to the hospital for observation.  When I saw the word hospital in her next message, I knew I had to go.  As I was pulling into the hospital parking lot, her sister (who also happens to be the assistant at Camille's doctor's office) called me to tell me Lily was on her way right then.

Fortunately, the labor and delivery were mostly just like the pregnancy--uneventful.  But there was still the slightly terrifying fact that our baby was about two months early.  We've all heard heart-wrenching stories about families whose babies have been born too early.  The doctor told us that it might be scary for a little while, but that the long-term prognosis was really good, but in a moment like that, all the doctors in the world couldn't make it better.  They've got her on a machine to strengthen her lungs, and a feeding tube.



I was (and still am) more than a little worried about her chances and her future.  But last night we got to sit by her bed.  And this morning we got to help feed her, and this afternoon Camille got to hold her.

So, as I've debated whether Lily's breathing mask makes her look more like Bane or an elephant, I've come to realize that my daughter's life really is a miracle.

Whether or not you believe in God or a higher power of some kind, remember that miracles happen.  Sometimes science can't explain them, and we call them God or chance or bizarre twists of fate.  Other times, we can explain them easily, and we call them cutting-edge technology.  Either way, it's a miracle that Lily was alive this morning when I woke up.  It's a miracle that there are machines and medicines that can make her lungs stronger and feed her.  It's a miracle that so many miraculous things came together to keep Lily healthy.  And it's a miracle that that so many other unlikely lives are so full and happy today.

So Lily, welcome to the world, the family, and all that comes with it.

8 comments:

  1. I´m praying all the way from Sweden. I remember you as a little more mature than the rest in high school, and someone who always was the best at like everything. At the same time I also remember you as a little more kind and godly (although I didn´t really know what godly was in high school). I see it´s been paying off. Being a father is a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! Thank you, Erik.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erik Mikkelsen! Happy Miracle to YOU and Camille! What a lovely little miracle daughter to join your family.
    -Ali (Whicker)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erik---This is Ann Burt. You and your wife and beautiful little daughter will be in my prayers. I have stayed in contact with your mom since your family left Alabama---that was a REALLY long time ago. I'm not sure you even remember me!!!! Good thoughts and prayers to all of your family!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I remember! It's great to hear from you. Thank you for the thoughts and prayers. They mean a lot to us.

      Delete
  5. Amazing, Erik. I'm so happy for today's modern medical technology that can help these new little babies that come early. I think Lily's been waiting an awfully long time to meet you guys and just couldn't wait any longer! I love you all and am so happy you're all well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your precious story! We will be praying for your little family. Congratulations to all; she is beautiful!!!l


    ReplyDelete