Sunday, October 27, 2013

Helicopters and Enfa-Coke

Ten days later, after a helicopter ride and a visit from Grammy and Papa, Lily is still in the hospital.  But she's also still making progress.

On Monday, Lily's heart stopped for about six seconds.  It started again on its own, she didn't have any oxygen deprivation, and there seem to be no lingering problems.  But the doctor was concerned enough to have the Life Flight helicopter team, who happened to be on-site just then, fly her to a nearby children's hospital, where there's a very well respected pediatric cardiology team.

In their combined 51 years of life, Lily's parents have taken fewer helicopter rides than she had in her first week.

The cardiologist found Camille and me after we drove across town.  Based on the tests they had run, he said that Lily's heart was in good shape, but that there was a chemical buildup (adenosine) at an important receptor site for electrical currents.  Unfortunately, that meant that her heart would keep slowing to dangerously low rates or even stopping periodically.  Fortunately, it's an easy problem to treat, and it usually goes away after a few rounds of medication.

The funny part is that the best medication for adenosine buildup is caffeine.  I'm not a big caffeine consumer.  I don't drink coffee.  I think Red Bull tastes like someone mixed cherry Kool-Aid and Robitussin with their dog's vomit.

But Coca Cola... well that's different.  I grew up in the South, so I know there's nothing like a nice cold Coke on a hot day.  I also believe that no meal is really complete without a Coke.  Coke Zero and Cherry Coke are acceptable substitutes for the classic, but there's no leaving it out.  I don't rely on it to get up in the morning, but I've been grateful for the boost on road trips.

Now proudly introducing Enfa-Coke!

So when the doc told us that they'd be administering caffeine treatments, all I could think was "Like father, like daughter."  Today I drank a Coke in honor of Lily and her caffeine-spiked milk.

On a more serious note, today a family from out of town came into the NICU berth across from us.  Their little one was very ill.  I recognized a dopamine agonist in the gigantic tower of IV medications, and I overheard the nurses telling the family about some very serious and potentially life-threatening problems.  My heart goes out to that family and their baby.  They're far from home, probably far from loved ones, and fighting an uphill battle.  Send your thoughts and prayers their way, everybody.

And keep sending them to Lily, Camille, and me.  I feel very fortunate that my daughter is so healthy, and that her problems seem to be getting smaller.  I feel very happy and very supported when I think that so many people are thinking and praying for us.  Thanks, everybody.

SuperLily, or caffeine jitters?

1 comment:

  1. Cousins in Oregon are excited for you all! Can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete